Evaluation of COPe-support online resource for carers
Please note that the deadline for participation in the study was 5pm GMT on 14th February 2020.
The EFFIP project has developed an online resource, called COPe-support (Carers fOr People with Psychosis e-support resource). COPe-support provides peer support, information on psychosis and ways for carers to look after themselves. We are running a study to find out if COPe-support works to improve carers’ wellbeing and how well they cope with caring.
Who took part in the study?
We invited carers who provide caring support for a loved one with psychosis to join the study. Carers could be parents, partners, siblings, other relatives or close friends. Plus a few other criteria as follows:
What did participating in the study involve?
We used a computer to randomly allocate carers to COPe-support or an internet resource webpage on caring (the so-called control). Carers had access to either resource 24/7 and were able to use it whenever and however they liked, all online. We asked them to fill in some questionnaires online to see how they were feeling at the start, halfway through, after 4 months and 8 months of using the resource. We also invited some carers for an individual interview afterward.
Participants were paid £30 in total for their time.
(Please note that carers who were randomly allocated to the control arm initially were given the opportunity to use COPe-support afterwards).
If you’d like to find out more
Please read the following:
Contact the project team HERE
This study has been reviewed and approved by South Central – Oxford C Research Ethics Committee (REC reference: 18/SC/0104) and Health Research Authority (IRAS Project ID: 240005). The conduct of the study is overseen by an independent Trial Steering Committee.
For the recruitment of participants into the study, the EFFIP Project team acknowledges the support of the National Institute for Health Research, through the Clinical Research Network Mental Health Specialty (CRN: MH), and the following NHS Trusts:
- 2Gether NHS Foundation Trust
- Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
- Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Black Country Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Cambridgeshire & Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
- Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Devon Partnership NHS Trust
- Dorset Healthcare University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dudley and Walsall Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
- East London NHS Foundation Trust
- Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (EPUT)
- Hertfordshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Kent & Medway NHS & Social Care Partnership Trust
- Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Norfolk & Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust
- North East London NHS Foundation Trust
- Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust
- Sheffield Health & Social Care NHS Foundation Trust
- South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
- South West London & St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust
- South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust
- Worcestershire Health & Care NHS Trust